CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday 4 April 2007

Hot Snot and Bogie Pie.

An old playground rhyme;
Hot Snot and Bogie Pie
All mixed up with a dead dog's eye
Stir it up and eat it quick,
Wash it down with a cup of cold sick!

That old rhyme is pretty gross, it's what we used to say about our school dinners when I was at school. Really the point of this post is how when I was a child, (and many others too I guess) I was forced to eat foods I hated. This was especially the case with school dinners, we had to have a clean plate, and were not allowed to leave anything. This has left me with an absolute aversion to certain foods; butter beans, haricot beans, and kidney beans being the worse, I cannot abide these foods. The reason for making us eat all that was served up to us (we didn't have any choice in that either) was a fallout from the post war thinking about food being wasted I suppose. I was at primary school in the sixties (yes I am that old!) and the post war period was not that long ago.

How it has affected me is the above aversion to pulses, which I absolutely cannot think of trying to eat (which means most Mexican foods are out) and also a vague feeling of guilt when I don't clear my plate, even though I know it is ok, and not helping anyone if I don't!

So for me, and perhaps others of my generation, food is loaded with all kinds of feelings of fear and guilt which go back to our childhood.

Not surprising that we have 'issues' around food!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the 70's and 80's and had to eat everything on my plate.

We had to eat brussel sprouts and seafood and even when I was gagging and holding down vomit I had to keep eating...it was horrid and I cannot eat those foods anymore

meals are only served at boarding schools here

nofoodisforbidden said...

Yep, I was the same as that. Luckily it is different in schools now, the children have a choice, and are never forced to eat as we were. A far more healthy attitude.